Would you like to work at North Island Kayak?
North Island Kayak conducts sea kayaking tours from Telegraph Cove on northern Vancouver Island. It has been in continuous operation in this area since 1991. We provide our guests with a spectacular wilderness vacation experience, while ensuring the safety of all and minimizing any negative environmental effects of our presence. Our kayak tours operate between the months of May & September each year. Maximum staffing levels are reached in the months of July & August when our team reaches 25 guides, 10 support staff, 6 base camps & 130 kayaks. Our commitment to excellence has resulted in us being awarded Tripadvisor Certificates of Excellence for all years 2014 through 2018 and inclusion in their Hall of Fame for 5 years in a row!
Our community of driven, professional individuals share a passion for nature, wildlife and the environment with an intense desire to protect, educate and awe others with the spectacular beauty of our area. While kayaking with Orcas in their natural element is the main reason people from all over Europe, Australia and North America, visit every summer, other animals that consistently delight include: humpback whales, seals, sea lions, dolphins, porpoise, black bears, bald eagles, a plethora of sea birds and a host of intertidal life.
The work culture at North Island Kayak is based on mutual respect and performance. Each member of our team has the responsibility and is equipped, or provided training to acquire, the skills to perform their contribution to the smooth-running vacation experience our guests deserve, while being assured that those around them are equally dedicated and skilled at performing their roles.
Our tours operate on a seasonal basis and our employment opportunities follow this seasonality. Although most North Island Kayak employees return year after year there are always opportunities for enthusiastic new team members.
Summer 2019 Opportunities
North Island Kayak currently has employment opportunities for the following positions;
- Guide Captains – Mid May through September - OPEN
- Lead Sea Kayak Guides (SKGABC L2 & SKGABC L3) – Mid May through September - OPEN
- Assistant Sea Kayak Guides (SKGABC AOG) – June through September - OPEN
- Sea Kayak Day Guides (SKGABC Level 1) – June through September - OPEN
- Admin Supervisor - June through September - OPEN
- Admin Coordinator - June through August - OPEN
- Kitchen & Hospitality Coordinator – May through September - OPEN
- Customer Service – June to September - OPEN
- Gear Preparation & Maintenance staff – June to September or July & August - OPEN
- Very competitive pay rates.
- An opportunity to work in a beautiful area with spectacular wildlife.
- A great work environment.
- Team based continuous learning skill development & other training opportunities.
- Opportunity to grow your knowlegde, skill sets and career.
- Subsidized local camping style accommodation.
- Access to Pro-deal purchases from leading outdoor suppliers
- Discounted opportunities to partake of other Telegraph Cove activities and attractions.
- Be part of a world class company.
All positions require the following.
- Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status.
- A valid driver’s licence.
- Proficiency in English, other languages especially French & German are an asset.
- The ability to work as part of a team and with minimal supervision.
- Responsible, reliable, decisive, mature individuals
- Familiarity with the outdoor environment
- Articulate and people-oriented
- Robust to inclement weather
- Physical requirements: Must be able to lift up to 50lbs. Some bending and turning.
- North Island Kayak maintains an alcohol and drug free workplace.
Sea Kayak Guide Positions
Sea Kayak guide positions require the following.
- Appropriate SKGABC certification (Level 1, AOG, Level 2, Level 3, etc.) or Paddle Canada, BCU, ACA, equivalents.
- Appropriate First Aid certification – Typically 35-40 hour Wilderness First Aid for Level 2 & below with 70-80 hour for Level 3. Must include CPR & CPR-C.
- Food Safe.
- Marine VHF Restricted Operators Certificate.
- Appropriate experience for the position.
- Paddle Canada Instructor certifications are an asset.
- Progressively increasing depth of knowledge of the Pacific Northwest, its flora, fauna, first nation history and geological features.
- Appropriate personal equipment, e.g. PFD, Marine VHF, immersion clothing, etc.
Supervisory & Support positions
- Must have completed or be attending post high school education.
- Basic Microsoft office and computer skills.
- Previous experience in a retail environmen an asset.
- Familiarity with tourism & an awareness of the outdoor or marine environment.
- Food Safe.
To apply for a position with North Island Kayak, please review the above job descriptions and get in touch (email@example.com). Please clearly identify the position applied for and include the following information.
- A cover letter detailing why you are interested & how you are qualified for the position.
- A current resume.
- Contact details for at least two work references. If you are at college or university, provide one faculty reference.
- Details of relevant certifications, achievement dates and renewal dates if applicable.
- Expected pay & availability dates.